Everyone is more conscious of their energy usage recently, a combination of rising energy prices and trying to lower their environmental impact. However, how are you lowering your use at work? Most people underestimate how much energy is used at work, so we have written a handy blog with some tips and tricks to help you start saving electricity in your business.
Businesses in the UK use a huge amount of energy, often wasting it by leaving computers on standby and heating running high.
- Switching to LED bulbs – they last between 2.5-25 times longer than traditional bulbs.
- Turn off computers and laptops. Most offices will keep laptops and computers on standby overnight and throughout the weekend. It is a big waste of electricity, and it only takes a minute to shut your computer down.
- Use motion sensor lights in rooms that aren’t used all the time, e.g. meeting rooms, bathrooms, stationery cupboards.
- Ensure your building is free of places for heat to escape and drafts. If the heated air can recirculate rather than disappear out of a single glazed window or under a drafty door then energy use will decrease as fans will be used less.
- Go paperless, by not printing you are limiting your use of energy and it is better for the environment.
One of the major uses of energy is motor-driven systems, accounting for an estimated 43-46% of overall energy usage in the world.
You can lower this energy use by between 20-50% by installing a variable speed drive (VSD).
As an ABB Value Provider, Gibbons is suited to help your business lower your energy bills by controlling your motor systems with a VSD.
A VSD works with your system by being able to control the speed and start-up of the motor precisely. We go over more of the benefits of a VSD here.
We hope this has given you some good tips on how to start saving electricity in your business. If you want to know more about the positive changes that a VSD can bring to your system, give us a call on 01621 868 138 or email email@example.com.